So, I had a habit of doing inline navigation by doing the following “Lazy Loading” method (code from administration navigation that handles look up tables):
Private Sub ChangeNavigation(ByVal pLinkButton As LinkButton) lnkUsers.CssClass = "" pLinkButton.CssClass = "selected" Select Case pLinkButton.ID Case "lnkUsers" mvData.SetActiveView(vwUsers) BindUsers() Case "lnkDivisions" mvData.SetActiveView(vwDivisions) BindDivisions() Case "lnkWithdrawalTypes" mvData.SetActiveView(vwWithdrawalType) BindWithdrawalTypes() Case "lnkMemoTypes" mvData.SetActiveView(vwMemoType) BindMemoTypes() Case "lnkWithdrawalTypePrefix" mvData.SetActiveView(vwWithdrawalTypePrefix) BindWithdrawalTypePrefix() End Select End Sub
Somewhere down the line, a new request was made to make a certain item “plural”. This then caused some unintended consequences of having run-time issues because the string didn’t compare. And let’s not get started on the fact that it’s case sensitive. It’s actually one of the main reasons why I try to utilize enumerations whenever possible… They’re short, simple, and will break if you type it wrong.
Well, due to the issue, I realized I should utilize .NET’s compiler and properties to my advantage. With that, I turned
VOILA. It slices! It dices! It compiles! Make an update to the text and it will still work. Rename the control without updating the case statement, and it will not compile. You are forced to fix it without stumbling across it during User Acceptance Testing.